How are teeth supposed to be positioned?

• As the title states, I'm wondering how to teeth are supposed to be positioned while mewing? My teeth tend to have some light contact with each other?

Also wondering if having retainers might give me more diminished returns from mewing?

• @Bob 

Hey Bob,

While mewing, the teeth should ideally have no or very light contact with each other. The goal is to have the entire tongue resting on the roof of the mouth, which naturally creates space between the upper and lower teeth.

Regarding the impact of retainers on mewing, wearing retainers may affect the effectiveness of mewing to some extent. Retainers are designed to maintain the current position of the teeth and prevent them from shifting. Mewing, on the other hand, aims to promote natural facial and jaw development by altering tongue posture and oral habits. While it's still possible to practice mewing with retainers, the retention device may restrict the movement of the maxilla and expansion of the palate and influence the results.

But you can still gain muscular changes from mewing and chewing while wearing retainers.

Hope that is of help ;)

• @Mewing 
    Thanks for the answer! Do you know if there is any kind of retainer that can still allow somw movement of the maxilla?

• @Bob 

No worries Glad to help, always.

Well yes. So fixed retainers are the ones that may allow for expansion of the back of the palate, aka the molar area. As they usually and I say "usually" are only attached on the first couple front teeth.