How should the back third be pressed against the roof?

•  

What's the correct way to rest the back third of the tongue against the upper palette? What should I be feeling and what can I do to check that I'm doing it correctly? If I do the "ging" sound I can somewhat feel the backtongue, but it also seems to slightly block my airways? And I can't really feel anthing betwwen the backtongue and the middle of the tongue so I might be doing something wrong? There is like a gap.

Also how should the tip be placed? I often find mine to either be slight tilted against the left or right bcs of the palatine raphe (the thing that kind of divides the roof). What can I do to correct it?

• @Bob 

Hey Bob,

When resting the back third of your tongue against the upper palate, there are a few key points to keep in mind:

1. The entire back third of your tongue should be in contact with the upper palate. This includes the back portion of the tongue as well as the sides. The goal is to evenly distribute the pressure along the entire surface area.

2. While doing the "ging" sound, it's normal to feel the back of your tongue pressing against the palate. However, it should not block your airways or make it difficult to breathe. If you're experiencing difficulty breathing or a significant blockage, it's possible that you're pushing your tongue too forcefully or not positioning it correctly, or that you palate is simply too narrow.

3. There shouldn't be a noticeable gap between the back of the tongue and the middle of the tongue. Ideally, the tongue should rest on the entire palate, creating a seal. If you feel a gap, it could indicate that your tongue posture might need some adjustment. Or that again you palate is too narrow; which will expand as you mew.

To check if you're doing it correctly, you can try the following:

1. Use a mirror: Observe your tongue posture in front of a mirror. Ensure that the back of your tongue is elevated and making contact with the upper palate. You can also check the positioning of the tip of your tongue.

2. Swallowing technique: As mentioned in the text, swallowing can help you get into the correct tongue posture. When you swallow, pay attention to how your tongue naturally positions itself against the palate. Try to maintain that position consciously throughout the day.

Regarding the placement of the tip of your tongue, it should ideally rest lightly against the incisive papilla, which is a small bump behind the front teeth. The tip should be relaxed and not pressing too hard against any particular side. If you find that your tip is slightly tilted to one side due to the palatine raphe, you can try to consciously correct it by gently guiding the tip to a more centered position. With practice and awareness, you should be able to improve the alignment of the tip over time.

Remember that mewing is a practice that takes time and conscious effort. It's normal to have questions and uncertainties along the way. As you mew, you develop a mind muscle connection with your tongue, making it easier to locate in your mouth, and making it easier to control.

;)