Is myofunctional therapy useful when having a narrow palate?

• Hello!

I was recommended myofunctional therapy by an orthodontist who does both conventional and myofunctional therapy, even though my palate is narrow. Would this therapy help instead of that or would I just be loosing money? She said I should opt for braces only after completing my therapy first, or in the worst case scenario, mid my therapy if my tongue really couldn't fit between my teeth.

I'm doing this because of my sleep apnea and am really quite desperate :/ .. Does anyone have any advice on the matter?  

Thank you! :)

• Hello!

Myofunctional therapy is a specialized form of therapy that focuses on improving the function and coordination of the muscles involved in breathing, chewing, swallowing, and speaking. It can be recommended by orthodontists to address various issues, including sleep apnea and narrow palates.

While mewing and myofunctional therapy share some similarities in terms of promoting proper tongue posture and breathing through the nose, they are not the same. Myofunctional therapy is a more comprehensive approach that involves exercises and techniques to target specific muscle groups and improve overall oral function. It can be beneficial in addressing issues related to sleep apnea and narrow palates.

If your orthodontist has recommended myofunctional therapy for your sleep apnea and narrow palate, it's important to discuss the specific goals and benefits of the therapy in your case. They can provide more insights into how myofunctional therapy can help and whether it would be a suitable option for you.

Regarding braces, your orthodontist's recommendation to complete the myofunctional therapy before opting for braces is based on their assessment of your individual needs. It's best to follow their guidance as they have a better understanding of your specific situation and treatment plan

Remember to keep mewing and follow the instructions provided by your healthcare professionals. If you have further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out for clarification.

See ya!, and good luck!