Uglier while mewing?

• Hi,

I think I have a slight deep bite (top teeth more advanced than bottom teeth) and a receding chin. I've always seen dentists growing up, none have found it necessary to do anything, no discomfort or pain, my teeth are in perfect condition but it's just not very aesthetic in my opinion.

I thought mewing might be a solution to try but when I mew, I clench my jaw slightly so that my molars touch slightly and as a result my mandible is even more receded and my top lip more forward than my bottom lip.

In everyday life I have naturally got into the habit of bringing my jaw slightly forward and keeping it down so as to soften my recessed chin. But therefore what I do when mewing is the complete opposite.

I don't care if I look ugly while mewing when I'm at home and if in the long run it makes my mandible move forward. But in my case, isn't mewing likely to accentuate my imperfections?

Thank you

• Hello! Thank you for your question.

It's important to note that mewing may not be a guaranteed solution to all dental issues, especially open bites. Open bites are very difficult to fix with mewing alone.

While mewing may help widen your palate, it may only alleviate your open bite by a small amount. It's important to remember that mewing is just proper tongue posture, and should be done regardless of its potential impact on your open bite.

However, if your open bite is severe and inhibits your ability to perform the suction hold, it may be best to consult with a dental professional for further advice.

Hope that helps ;)

• Thanks for your reply but I don't have an open bite, just a slight deep bite. And in this case I'm afraid mewing can accentuate this aspect