How much restriction does correct mewing cause in the airways?

• When I do mewing and put the back against the top I can feel some kind of restriction in my airway, is this normal and will it get better? Or should I put the back of the tongue a bit more forward but still leave if at a area where I can feel it?

If I but my back tongue a bit further back I can't breathe, but I assume its just because people aren't supposed to breathe while swallowing so it's some kind of automatic thing?

• @Bob 

Hey Bob,

Feeling some restriction in your airway when practicing mewing is not uncommon, especially when you are starting out. It can take time for your tongue and muscles to adjust to the new position. Over time, as you continue mewing and your muscles strengthen, the sensation of restriction should lessen, and you may find it easier to breathe through your nose while maintaining proper tongue posture.

It's important to find a balance where you can comfortably breathe through your nose while keeping the back of your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Placing the back of your tongue a bit more forward, as long as it still maintains contact with the palate, can help alleviate the feeling of restricted airflow. However, avoid pushing your tongue too far back if it completely obstructs your ability to breathe.

Regarding breathing during swallowing, you are correct that it is an automatic reflex to briefly pause breathing while swallowing. This is normal and allows for the proper movement of food and liquids down the throat. Once the swallowing action is complete, you should resume breathing through your nose.

Remember, everyone's experience with mewing may vary, and it's always a good idea to listen to your body. If you have concerns about your breathing or experience persistent discomfort, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized guidance.

Keep mewing and don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have :)